25 November 2009

Massive Attack "Splitting The Atom" EP


I was listening to the morning music program of a prominent Los Angeles college radio station. Being a fan of Tv on The Radio I was very surprised to hear Tunde Adebimpe's vocals on a very Bristol sounding trip hop track. When the DJ came on air and announced the music was the latest from Massive Attack, I ran to my dell laptop and searched deep with great hope for a vinyl release. There was internet buzz that a physical copy was being manufactured, but no one could find the actual product page. Utilizing highly developed Google skills I uncovered the illusive link, not even accesible from the vinyl factories homepage. It was on this page I first read the track listing: a dream line up the likes of which 'Them Crooked Vultures' could only hope to aspire, a who's who of contemporary musicians, and several of my personal favorites.

Track one with Damon Albarn (blur, gorrillas) Track two with the a-for-mentioned 'Tunde Adebimpe' of Tv On The Radio fame. Track three remixed by non-other-than 'The Subliminal Kid', no longer a kid, but very much a stalwart of the downtempo scene, and Track five, unbelievably, with the marvelous 'Martina Topley-Bird' (the female voice from most of Trickys notable work, with an awesome solo album of her own.)

I had my credit card out so fast you'd think it was the last record in the world, and if I had only one album to listen to on judgment day, this might be it…

For those of us who consider the acts' 1998 mercury prize nominated, #1, platinum selling album the height of Massive Attacks artistry, this four Track EP is their most satisfying release to date. It is the slow and simple effectiveness that hypnotized us in 1998, the laid back, low mixed vocals that balance music and prose is such tandem that every note, every word, hangs on the ear, dripping slowly into the brain, with bass and polyrhythms so delicately layered it would take a microscope to discern their individuality.

In my educated opinion: Splitting the Atom sits proudly next to Mezzanine as Massive attacks finest releases. It is the second most expensive record I have ever bought, a sort of pathetic $11(US) per track, but buyers remorse was hardly an issue. already copies of this record are being auctioned off in the hundreds, that, and knowing Only 999 fans share with me the fine distinction of owning this rare and wonderful record, Vinyl well bought.

No comments: